February to May 1994
Tape 1, Side B
- Sealers’ Club [continued form 1A], Hooverson.
- Managing selves-community. Work for wages instead of ‘reservation.’ After evacuation. Amusement. Civic Committee. Hobbies. Benson, Dan.
- Which family could take which house. House trade by family size. Merculiefs-Angelina, Father Paul, Betty, XXX Dan Benson.
- Brick house. Remodeling House: Anatoly Lekanof house that is left. Buyaax (Peter Merculief) was in my house-fire station. Remodel on paper-make different than Anaana Alexandra Merculief and Kashevarof houses.-Stairs.
- Alexay (?), Perfenia Pletnikoff remodel. Tony Melovidov-carpenter. Nicolai Merculief and Uncle Inty (Innokenty D. Lestenkof) Window in corner. Calidoor.
- Ferman Galanin. One gov’t worker -Cottage F. Fix the way wife wanted. Buyaax (Peter) and Sarah Merculief.
- Canteen before Sealer’s Club. Canteen managers-Uncle Valentine Kashevarof, Bill Shane, Father Paul and Betty Merculief. Store and a Canteen. Store Gov’t. Susie Merculief was running it-Canteen.
- Priest work for community not government, can not get groceries from store.
- Canteen started about 1926 or so. 10 men go to SPI for sealing. Use to hire SGI men vs. temporary men…gov’t jobs…bonus. $500 for 10 men-bonus from “SPI $” Gov’t takes that $500. Office to office. Started Canteen Schwabacher’s Grocery.
- Power House. Ship goods. Canteen St. George still hold. Where’s St. Paul’s Canteen? It went broke. John Hapoff. Culbertson. Storekeeper. Nicolai Merculief. John Merculief.
- Old Navy Station building was remodeled and used for Canteen. Where brick houses are now. Men-Galanins, Christopher [Malavansky?], [Lala] Nicolai Merculief.
- Two young men gov’t mechanics Goodwin where hospital is now. Canteen went broke. Draw $ from sealing gang to start again. Become to be Store.
- Matushka Stefanida Lestenkof: learned to make Holy Bread-Sitka from Father Cyril; when Michael Lestenkof ordained.
- CHECK SPELLING: Chiqdan-good eating. Uutan. Waygin. Ankiitan. Aaguganaan. Iilgaax-ilgaagun (octopus) look around for something when they walk.
- Birthday card story for Yaya Top’s (Theodore Lestenkof) birthday-card for him says: We grew up together but never grew apart….Found out card said: to my brother, from your sister.
- Birthday card story (1993) Don’t Tell Momma. In memory of promise not to tell on each other. Dmitri Theodore & Michael Alexandra Lestenkof
- STATIC SPI-Mom in Unalaska inaudible. Jesse Lee Home.
- Dad (Dmitri Lestenkof) born in Belkofski (?Check ON)-Grandma from Atka/Attu. Belkofski from Atka. Grandfather (Innokenti Lestenkov) Transfer to Unalaska Ordained Sent to SGI. Training Sitka. ?Record
- Kashevarof-Walter & Peter from area. Andrew Kodiak Sitka Peter Belkofsky-Pribilofs. 32 years.
- STATIC. Feet bare. Icons feet are open.
- EXPLANATIONS, ORTHODOX CHURCH:
Orthodox Cross explanation. Tourists. lower part-slanted. Two thieves. Men and Women separated in church. Boys and girls in front. Older people move back.
- Deacon Stefan (?) . Royal Doors
- UNANGAM TUNUU TELEPHONE VISIT-with (?) on SPI.
- Story: Kennedy
- UT: Utxuudnax (check on)-last rite before died.
Matushka Gromoff-last rite.
- Baptism: Chix^ix. Anaam ikaan. anaam adaan. CHECK ON UT Parents. Christ
- Laqayax anaam adaan. Ayagaadax anaam adaan.
- UT: girl like a boy…